Flats and houses


There are various different options for students who are looking for rented accommodation in Reading. However, look at the notice board, look at the www.gumtree.com website, talk to your fellow students and check in the office of any possibilities available. The local newspapers (Reading Chronicle and Evening Post) also advertise accommodation for rent.

Flat/House Share

For those willing to share a flat or house in the area you should be prepared to pay a deposit of about one month's rent in advance plus your first month's rent.

On average a single bedroom in the town centre will be in the region of £250 a month, excluding gas and electricity bills. A double bedroom will be approximately £320. These prices will vary greatly depending on the location, size of room and facilities.

Other rooms such as the bathroom and kitchen are communal areas, which should be cleaned and looked after by each individual who uses them.

Do go to different agencies before signing any rental agreements and paying a deposit. Most deposits are non-refundable.

Make sure you are aware of what your rent includes. You may find you have to pay extra for things such as council tax* (see www.reading.gov.uk), TV licence and internet access, electricity and gas bills.

* Council tax is paid by every household in the UK and depends on the size of the property not on the number of people living in the property. If you are not registered at a university, state college or school you will be eligible to contribute.

Renting a flat/house

When renting a house or flat from a local estate/letting agency you will usually be asked to give references from previous landlords or agencies in The UK. In some cases a reference from an employer may be enough. This often applies to private landlords. If references cannot be obtained you may be asked to pay up to 6 months' rent in advance in addition to a deposit. Be advised to check exactly what your rental fee includes (gas, water, electricity, council tax, TV licence etc.)

Rent is one of the most important items of your expenditure. If you do not keep up with your rent you could lose your home. If you would like advice regarding rent payments or a list of letting agencies please contact Citizens Advice Bureau www.readingcab.org.uk.